The more foundational work that is done with administrators, teachers and students, the more successful my visit will be. Let everyone know way in advance that I am visiting so there are no surprises and/or resentments. Teachers need time to prepare their classes and to open up time for me in their schedules. If everyone is prepared and happy about my arrival, it will be a celebration and not a burden.
To maximize a visit from me here are a few suggestions:
- Circulate my web site to teachers
- Encourage teachers to write me with any questions, concerns and/or suggestions for my visit
- Ask teachers to let their children know about my visit by talking about my work, where I’ve been, what
- I’ve written and what I’m likely to do. The more the students are excited about my arrival the easier it will be for me to stimulate their interests
- If possible put up posters about my visit around the school with the date of my arrival
- Let me know if you are working with any specific writing/social studies/social skills curriculum and send of some links and/or writings about them
A short relevant story:
Please help me to do the same for your school!